A good elk hunting book is valuable. When a seasoned elk hunter shares his hard–earned, time-proven wisdom in a book, all you have to do is relax and digest it. Then you can put it into practice without having to learn it the hard way. Of course, like anything else, book learning is impractical, until you start putting it into practice in elk country, then the experiences shared with you begin to take shape and come to life. (See book list below.)
The off-season, especially winter time, is a great time to spend reading an elk hunting book. Some of us like to end the day at hunting camp falling asleep reading a good hunting book by fire or lantern glow.
There is always more to learn about elk hunting. A good elk hunting book should be entertaining, as well as instructive. It should include real life elk hunting stories woven through it.
If you can’t picture it in your mind from the way it is told on page, the book may not be that helpful. Following is a list of some books that we have read (the first eight) or, those that are on our to-read list. We have linked each one to a good description of the book for you. Some we have linked to our own reviews after reading them.
We will add more to the list, but you can do a search at AbeBooks for “Elk” or “Elk Hunting” by clicking here. You will find lots of elk hunting books. Many of them are available for less than two bucks! You can also search by title for elk hunting books, of course.
“Elk Nut”, Paul Medel, has studied elk sounds for over 30 years. His products will help you have more “close encounters of the herd kind”. Available with free shipping on this site.
Colorado’s Biggest Bucks and Bulls and Other Great Colorado Big Game, Third Edition, Expanded for the 30th anniversary edition, this 400-page book measuring 8-1/2 by 11 inches contains thousands of photographs and stories of all 13 categories of big-game animals from Colorado that are entered in the B&C, P&Y and The Longhunter Society. Hundreds of detailed hunting stories and a chapter on “Your Odds for Taking a Colorado Trophy Mule Deer, Elk or Moose” give you hours and years of reading enjoyment. Authors Susan Campbell Reneau and her son Richard have called hunters and traveled the state collecting the finest photographs and information about all the big-game that make Colorado such a great place to hunt! Includes:
• 248 detailed hunting stories of B&C, P&Y and Longhunter Society typical and non-typical mule deer, typical and nontypical American elk and Shiras moose.
• B&C World’s Record mule deer and Former B&C World’s Record American elk. Award-winning trophies from B&C, P&Y and The Longhunter Society and Colorado state records.
• Thousands of field and portrait photographs of additional mule deer, elk, Shiras moose plus bighorn and desert sheep, black bear, cougar, pronghorn, typical and non-typical whitetail and Rocky Mountain goats.
• Tables showing most productive counties and locations for trophy mule deer, elk and Shiras moose hunts.
• Tables showing harvest production for all 13 big-game categories hunted in Colorado to plan your next hunt.
• Fully reproduced B&C score charts of all 13 big-game categories hunted in Colorado.
• Complete listing of all Colorado big-game from B&C, P&Y and The Longhunter Society in all 13 big-game categories. Colorado’s Biggest Bucks and Bulls, Third Edition vastly expands upon the historic and modern photographs and stories from the first edition in 1983 and the second edition on September 11, 2001.
• Elk Talk - Your Guide To Finding Elk, Calling Elk, And Hunting Elk With A Rifle, Bow And Arrow Or Camera, Don Laubach and Mark Henckel
• Elk Hunting 301, Making It Happen in Elk Country, Jay Houston
• Elk Hunting 101, A Pocketbook Guide to Elk Hunting, Jay Houston
• Elk Tactics, Don Laubach and Mark Henckel
• Elk Hunting Secrets, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
• Elk Hunting (The Complete Hunter), Jim Zumbo
• Elk Hunter's Bible, Jim Zumbo
• High Pressure Elk Hunting: Secrets of Hunting Educated Elk, Mike Lapinski
• PERFECT SHOT: MINI EDITION II FOR NORTH AMERICA: Bear, Bison, Cougar, Goat, Hog, Javelina, Muskox, Sheep, and Wolf, Boddington, Craig and O'Keefe, Laurie
• Bowhunting Modern Elk, Meitin, Patrick
• Elk: Strategies for the Hunter, Durwood Hollis
• Elk essentials (Hunting wisdom library), Bob Robb
• Elk & Elk Hunting, Wayne Van Zwoll
• Elk!: Proven Strategies for Elk Hunting Success, Robb, Bob
• The Shakari Connection Bookshelf has a huge collection of African hunting books, African safari books, African travel and exploration books and sporting firearm books.
Please subscribe to or our Quick Elk Hunting Tips and Updatesnewsletter or to an RSS feed (see left column for both) to be alerted whenever new information is added to the site.
We'd appreciate it if you would "Like" us on Facebook, or share this site with others.Use Google Custom Search to search this site: